Unforgetable Adventure in Suai

It's my first post written early in the morning--or it's writing while the dawn is breaking. I am in the bedroom with my youngest sister. It's actually her room but I asked her for sharing it with me two weeks ago for my new bed is not as comfortable as the old one. She refused at first but you know the elder sister always wins-that's the rule (I've been so selfish, lol).
our students were playing game--happiness all around

I have nothing special in mind to share but this simple emotional wish for a freedom. while I am looking for some articles in order to get some 'inspiration' about what to write on my application form, I read some blogs, one of them is the blog of the English Training Assistant in Aceh. Reading one post about his experience there reminds me of my adventure in 2007 when I became a voluntary teacher in Suai (one small district in East Timor). My decision was taken mainly due to my desire for freedom. Yeah, I wanna do whatever I want and at that time I was uite lucky for the time and chance were so friendly, then I went there, spending almost 3 weeks there, teaching English for the kids in Suai.
nice smile of Leri

The program I got involved is carried on by THE FRONTIERS, one NGO that cares for peace education. The aim for this program is to share peace issue through education, that is English. We taught them love and peace, how to respect the difference-all peace issues through English lesson. It was truly wonderful for the kids were really enthusiastic learning about English. We spent a lot of time with them every afternoon, went to the beach, which took us almost 45 minutes walking in the humid day (it was really tiring but funny lol) and cooked together on our farewell party. We visited their houses on weekends and play football together. Every second we spent together was memorable.
flying planes

I have two important experiences which have taught me to be more careful and tolerant. One day we were lack of water. Since the water flew three times a week, we needed to keep the water for cooking. As the result, we needed to walk to the villager's houses to take shower. But it was not near. It took us 30 minutes walking. Luckily, we got a new acquaintance who willingly lent us his motorbike. One of my friend, mba Ester, can ride, so we went to the water source together. We didn't wear any helmet coz the road we passed was not the main street. Yet, the worst thing happened when we returned home. I was the one who gave a brilliant idea not passing the same street we came. I told mba Ester to go through market as I didn't know that it is the main street. So we passed the street and we were arrested by the police for breaking the rule--not wearing helmet and not stopping the motorbike when the police gave a sign to stop. These two mistakes finally took us to the police station. I was really afraid at that time but I and my friend were trying to not panic. I asked the police to chat by revealing some topics dealing with his life experience. Thank God, it helped. He finally talked many things about his family in Indonesia, how they separated-his other relatives decided to be Indonesian but he and the others chose to separate from Indonesia. It ended with a friendly smile from him. Yup, we were free from punishment. He just reminded us to wear helmet when we rode in the main street. I then learnt that language can help you in critical time.. Lol..
Suai beach--it took us 45 minutes walking from our homestay

we were thinking hard to start our class
The other great lesson is about being tolerant. I found the fact that there are no Christian churches in Suai. The majority is Roman Catholic so there is only one main Catholic church in that area. The first Sunday was so lonesome. I missed my church and the congregation in Kupang. I missed my sunday school kids. However, I couldn't go to Christian church since there isn't any. I just read the bible and prayed together with other Christian friends in our team. The second week I felt kinda bored. I wanted to be in a congregation. I didn't wanna be alone. It finally turned into joy when one of our students asked us to go together to his church. We went there together, following the 'misa'. Eventhough I don't really understand the language coz they speak Tetun, I could still get the message from the pastor coz my students helped me to translate. It was nice. I finally learnt that when you're far away from the church you've grown up, you'll try to find any churches, and if there's only one that is quite different from your church you can still feel the joy coz the Word of God is still the same. I know Roman Catholic church and Presbiterian church are different, yet it's not about what doctrines they teach, it's all about the happiness of being together among the family of God. 

Today when I share this story to you, a strange feeling suddenly comes. I wanna go back there, feeling the freedom, experiencing the adventure and learning to be more independent. I don't know when I could visit Suai again. I wish I could get the chance to participate in peace camp or maybe follow another program to be a volunteer in any conflict area. Just wait and see how time takes me to any real adventure.. who knows about tomorrow???

Ps: the pictures in this blog I grab from Ivan Ji's album. He's one of our team members. Thanks Ivan for capturing these sweet moments!!!

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

If "Hot Blooded Woman" was made into a Drama"

When God says 'Not Yet' (again)

Easter (7 words on the cross)